Middletown, N. J. – Well it’s game day in the NHL with a 11 matchups of standings altering action, none more important to Islanders fans then the grudge match with their cross town rivals this evening at Nassau Coliseum. More on that later in the pregame.
- In case you missed it, some links from yesterday including an online petition for Isles-Rangers in Winter Classic and an important announcement from us here at eyesonisles….
- Bridgeport pulled out an overtime win last night in Syracuse on Brock Nelson’s overtime snipe. See some game action below including the game winner. And yes, that is Rick DiPietro in goal.
- Here is the recap from the official Bridgeport web site. http://www.soundtigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&ATCLID=207177462&DB_OEM_ID=22700
- The goal by Nelson was his 24th of the season, tying him for the team record for goals by a rookie.
- All quiet in Islanders country yesterday leading into the big game but Matt Martin never ceases to entertain. In case you didn’t know, Matt is talking about his girlfriend, who just happens to be Boomer Esiason’s daughter.
— Matt Martin (@mattymarts17) April 12, 2013
- User @631life on twitter played the game for us on EA Sports NHL13 and this is the result he got.
— Pat Lehmann! (@631life) April 13, 2013
- Islanders super stat man Eric Hornick has this as we look ahead to the final 7 games of the regular season.
— Eric Hornick (@ehornick) April 11, 2013
From Around The NHL
- The Ottawa Senators managed to defeat the New Jersey Devils 2-0 despite getting outshot 33-11. Martin Brodeur and the Devs have not won in 9 starts since the hall of fame goaltender recorded his 666th career win. That is just weird. I don’t care who you are: the Devils might still have some breath left in them for 8th place but that is fading fast. Rangers are 4 points clear with a game in hand. But the teams do meet twice still before the end of the regular season in what could be playoff altering matchups.
- Columbus knocked off the St.Louis Blues 4-1 and guess who scored for the Jackets? That’s right, Marian Gaborik, who since being exiled off Tortorella Island, has 3-3-6 in 5 games. The Isles are sure glad to not see #10 on the visitors lineup card this evening.
- Those Chicago Blackhawks are something aren’t they? After falling behind in the second intermission to Detroit 2-1, captain Jonathan Toews tied the game with 2:57 remaining allowing the Hawks to win a 5 round shootout on rookie Brandon Saad‘s goal (remember him?) The win clinched the Central Division crown for the team, which really was never in doubt since the epic undefeated streak began the season.
Tonight’s Rooting Interests
- Montreal win at Toronto
- Tampa Bay win at Washinton
Morning Standings Glance
- 5. Toronto 40 GP, 49 PTS
- 6. Ottawa 41 GP, 48 PTS
- 7. Islanders 41 GP, 46 PTS
- 8. Rangers 40 GP, 44 PTS
- 9. Jets 42 GP, 44 PTS
- 10. Devils 41 GP, 40 PTS
As a note, the Capitals lead the Southweak division with 46 points in 41 games and a close watch has to be on them as well with the likelihood that they will be flipping spots with the Jets all the way to the end.
Looks for the pregame coming later this afternoon ahead of tonight’s big game.
We thank you for visiting and giving us a read. In the meantime, give us a follow@eyesonislesfs, which is our official twitter account. If you wish to follow us individually as well, and we encourage you to do so, you can find us at….
Other Facebook Islanders pages that deserve your attention!