Middletown, N. J. – The seemingly never-ending game of leap-frog in the Eastern Conference standings is almost done. The teams, with the exception of a lone game tomorrow, will be all snug in their playoff spots come tomorrow morning and we will have a clearer picture of what stands before the New York Islanders.
Making their first trip to the Stanley Cup Playoffs in six years, the Isles stumbled and bumbled their way to the finish line, losing in a shootout 2-1 in their regular season finale in Buffalo last night. Had it not been for another Ryan Miller brain fart, New York might have dropped another two points in the standings and locked themselves into the 8th and last spot. At the end of the day, Miller gave the Rangers a bunch of gifts last week, I guess he figured it was only fair. His reaction after stopping John Tavares‘ shootout attempt, and very luckily I might add, said it all for the Sabres goaltender, who has probably played his last game for the club. It was not a celebration, rather a sigh of relief that Miller seemed to exhale.
So good in the past seven weeks, the Isles limp into the playoffs on a 3 game losing streak, however have still only allowed 6 goals in those losses to Carolina, Philadelphia and Buffalo. Whereas teams playing extremely well would not want an extended break prior to the postseason, it will be welcome to head coach Jack Capuano and his staff. They need to regroup, recharge the batteries and assistant coach Doug Weight really needs to get the power play working again. The scoreboard will tell its own story, but time is on the Islanders side now and they have to take full advantage of it.
Bottom line, 6 of 10 points on a season ending 5 game road trip is not bad, not too bad at all.
- Recaps and summaries are found here : EOI | LHH | Eric Hornick |Official NYI | Knee Jerk reaction from Sabrenoise.com
- EyesOnIsles made their debut podcast appearance and talked everything from Isles to Rangers to playoffs. Link here. FF to 21:20 mark.
- Anatoliy Metter writes about the Isles rewire through waivers and how it has impacted the team’s success.
- Nicholas Gross writes about the Isles playoff chances and Evgeni Nabokov
- Win $300 worth of Isles gear from Fansided!
- 2013 Stanley Cup Playoff bracket challenge. Come play against the staff of EOI!
Around The Twitter-Sphere
— Christopher Retzlaff (@islesfreak) April 27, 2013
- Well said Chris…All the teams start out even and strange things often occur in the playoffs. We have seen time and time again teams dominate the regular season to falter in the playoffs. Stay with the plan, get back to your game and anything can happen.
— Sean Mott (@SMott329) April 27, 2013
- Pounding the above message to whomever will listen. Think 1980, 1993 if you are an Islanders fan. Think Anaheim Ducks, Dallas Stars, LA Kings and NJ Devils.
— T.J. Weber (@teejayweejay) April 27, 2013
- Ok, now this is just outrageously funny…It does not matter what religion you adhere to, if any at all, a little message up to the heavens never hurt anyone. Hee Hee
— Laurie (@NYIslesNut) April 27, 2013
- I like Howie Rose and he seems genuinely excited about the Isles returning to the playoffs. But there is something real special about hearing Jiggs sweet sound calling an Isles playoff game. Takes me right back to my youth and here is hoping we get to hear it again. It’s like a cross between Fergie and Jesus..;)
Around The NHL
- Quiet night in the NHL last night with only 3 other games on the schedule.
- Edmonton drubbed Minnesota 6-1, denying the Wild an opportunity to clinch a playoff spot. Nail Yakupov scored his 13th and 14th of his rookie season in the win.
- Ho-hum, Chicago wins again defeating Calgary 3-1. Patrick Kane and Jonathan Toews continue their battle for the Hawks goal scoring crown, each scoring their 23rd of the season.
- Colorado edged Phoenix in a shootout 5-4 as old friend P.A Parenteau scores his 18th.
- Nail hammers one home…..
- One post? Nah, I’ll clank two….
If you have ever trusted EyesOnIsles, do so now. Later today, we have an exclusive interview with Evgeni Nabokov that you are not going to want to miss.
I will leave you with the below….its the first time in what seems like an eternity the Isles were featured in a playoff promo video. Enjoy.