Middletown, N. J. – The last quiet night in the National Hockey League for the next eight weeks has come and gone. All that was on the agenda last night was the annual draft lottery and the Colorado Avalanche came away winners as their ball was chosen to select first in the June entry draft in Newark, NJ.
The Florida Panthers, who finished three points below the Avalanche in the standings will select second. The top three obvious choices on the board will be defensman Seth Jones and forwards Nathan McKinnon and Jonathan Drouin.
For the Islanders, it was a day of practice, practice and more practice. The team skated for the third consecutive day preparing to open the playoffs tomorrow night in Pittsburgh against the Penguins. It was all hands on deck as the recent Bridgeport call-ups were all present getting some work in. Coach Jack Capuano did not comment on or speculate on what his lineup outside of starting goaltender Evgeni Nabokov would look like come 7pm, but the assumption could be made that Eric Boulton, Marty Reasoner and Matt Carkner might not be seeing much of the ice at Consol Energy Center.
Look for our series primer coming later this afternoon.
- Giving a little glance outside the Eastern Conference and Isles, Rich Diaz and myself previewed two Western series. Blues and Blackhawks.
- Dom from LHH writes on why you should root for the NY Islanders.
- Johnny Feulner of Pens Labyrinth writes on what the Pens have to do to beat the Isles.
- Other series previews : NHL.com | Bleacher Report | ESPN
Around the Twitter-Sphere
— Rob Marschall (@savetheisles) April 29, 2013
- There really is nothing else to say…this is such a great inspirational quote for the Islanders and should be plastered on their locker room wall.
— Rich Diaz (@IliumInc) April 29, 2013
- Ah, the sweet smell of expectations…..We have seen teams rise up to them and ride the wave and we have also seen teams crushed by the pure weight of them. The Isles should be light as a feather.
— Anthony Stabile (@tonystabile) April 30, 2013
- Trying to muster up a little old magic is never a bad thing – The Isles are going to need some good karma along with mistake free defensive play in this series.
— Kevin Young (@kevinyoung90) April 30, 2013
- The smartest way to go is to always offset a negative with a positive and it’s done brilliantly here. An objective, honest series pick followed by the major reason the Isles can steal this series.
Around The NHL
- Its time. The Playoffs get underway tonight with three Western Conference series playing game one. The Minnesota Wild travel to Chicago to take on the Blackhawks at 8:00 EST, Los Angeles invades St.Louis at 8:00 EST and Detroit takes on the Ducks at 10:30 EST. Your complete playoff viewing guide for round one is found here.