With the news cycle continuing to be agonizingly slow, I feel it’s worth a comment on the strange situation that presented itself over the weekend in Pittsburgh.
To make things ultra clear and make sure there is absolutely no confusion, I am not a fan of Penguins superstar Sidney Crosby. While to acknowledge his supreme talent as arguably one of the best players in the world is common sense, that is where my respect for him starts and ends.
The drama unfolded when Crosby was shuffled to the front of the line at a local DMV to renew his drivers license and the patrons there who had to wait, some up to two hours, for service complained that his star status should not have been taken into account for special treatment.
So think of it this way if you will. What would a Long Island DMV look like if John Tavares just walked in and decided to stand on line. It would be pandemonium. I would call my friend, who would call his friend, who would then call his grandmother and so on and so on. You would turn a two hour visit into a four hour one and that is even if you are lucky enough to find the exit door.
Not to mention what the athlete would have to go through. I am not necessarily saying that what happened was right and that athletes should get preferential treatment wherever they go, but in this instance, I cannot find any fault in how both parties decided to alleviate any escalation in a government office.
Stay tuned today as we bring you game two of the ‘what-if’ series between the 1980 Islanders and the 1994 Rangers and Eric Bordin makes his return with a look at the 1974 team that turned the corner.
In Case You Missed It
- Mike Willhoft examines the Matt Moulson option year and if the Isles should re-sign (EOI)
- Game one of our ‘what-if’ series posted between the 1980 Isles and the 1994 Rangers (EOI)
- Cappy concludes his exit interviews over at the Lighthouse – parody (LHH)
- Vote for the top Islanders goal of the 2013 season (NY Islanders)
- Live 11am chat TODAY with Art Staple (Newsday)
- JT is the obvious choice to take over the reigns (Bleacher Report)
- You can party all night long Tyler as long as you find the back of the net (Pro Hockey Talk)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
I want to finish in front of the Rangers and in front of the Devils and in front of the Flyers and Penguins god dammit i wanna be #1 #ISLES
— Amanda (@Islanders4lifee) August 13, 2013
- I think that is something we all agree on Andrea. With the slow and steady rebuild taking shape last season, it only heightens expectations heading into 2013-14. That can either be a good thing or a very bad thing if not managed properly.
— Mike Blazowski (@MikeBlazowski) August 12, 2013
- Blaz echoes what we have been whining about for weeks now. There is just no news to report on so creativity has to take center stage at this point. That is how the Clutterbuck chronicles and What-If were born.
— Thomas DeLuca (@ThomasDeLuca24) August 12, 2013
- The Coliseum should be rocking on Saturday, October 5 when our boys in blue and orange take the ice to continue their acsention through the NHL.
— Mike W (@DarkMidKnight) August 13, 2013
- In time Mike W…there really is no rush at this point with nothing else going on. It would not surprise me at all if the ‘C’ were already stitched and all that remains is the official announcement.
Keep it tuned right here at Eyes On Isles as we continue to grind it out like 4th liners waiting for training camp to begin in September. In addition to what is coming up today, volume two of the well received Clutterbuck chronicles comes your way tomorrow and we could potentially have some very exciting news at the end of next week. As always, thanks for reading.