We can now officially turn the page on August and head into hockey season. With the calendar reading September 1 and most enjoying the last official weekend of summer, attention will soon turn to the kickoff of the National Football League season as well as the opening of training camps around the National Hockey League.
No official word from the Islanders organization as of this date but it is widely assumed that rookies will be asked to report on September 4 with veterans on September 11. Myself, Rich Diaz and Mike Willhoft will have you covered as we begin preparations to attend out first camp as credentialed members of the Islanders media.
A little interesting drama unfolded yesterday as Winnipeg Jets defenseman Zach Bogosian was asked about his relationship with Islanders forward Kyle Okposo. If you remember, it was Kyle who ended Bogosian’s season on a hit that caused the young defenseman to miss the remainder of the season with a concussion.
When asked about it, all Bogosian had to offer was ‘I will leave that between us’….Although he laughed when providing the answer, more interesting was the reported coldness displayed at the US Olympic orientation camp between the two. It might make for an interesting first match-up this season between these two teams.
So sit back, enjoy some of your favorite barbecued meats and cold beverages of your choice and most importantly, keep safe during this Labor Day. Remember to be responsible and not drink and drive, for you are putting yourself and someone else, and their family potentially, at serious risk. Hockey will be here before you know it and we will cover it for you from top to bottom at Eyes On Isles with our excellent staff of writers.
In Case You Missed It
- Gary Harding previews the Islanders goaltending heading into 2013-14 (Isles Talk)
- Fantasy hockey studs and sleepers (IPB)
- New Minnesota Wild road jersey revealed (Icestetics)
- Dodger Stadium outdoor game selling well (Toronto Sun)
- BLS takes a look at the Rangers representation on Team USA (Bluelinestation)
- Puck Daddy shows the proper way to troll an away team in your building (Puck Daddy)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
— New York Islanders (@NYIslesFans) September 1, 2013
- Now this is a tweet to begin my Sunday. Actually laughed out loud and almost showered my screen with my morning java. As comical as it is, it DOES however ask a very important question. Why is it that they have never done a photo-op together? Hmmmmm….
— Justin Truglio (@jtruglio) September 1, 2013
- I loved Hogue when he wore the blue and orange. Always a tremendously hard worker who gave his all every single shift. And a nice little twisted wrister to boot.
— Glenn Giangrande (@GlennGiangrande) September 1, 2013
- Ah…..to dream. Walk into my world and you will find the oddity of a truly split household. My daughter and I support the Isles (even though her boyfriend is a die hard Rangers fan…now that’s loyalty) but my wife and son are both Rangers supporters. Game day between these two is seperate rooms to watch the game. haha
— Mike Howlin (@fltrn77) August 31, 2013
- Battlin Billy was the prototypical playoff performer. Never one to put up dazzling regular season statistics, he always came to play when everything was truly on the line. And that tenacity in goal was something Isles fans will never forget.