On Saturday night, hockey fans [finally] got a taste of some NHL-action – three preseason games featuring the Washington Capitals, Winnipeg Jets, Calgary Flames (split-squad) and Edmonton Oilers (split-squad). The Capitals-Jets affair was aired on the NHL Network, a nice treat for us craving some puck.
For Long Island hockey fans, we have to wait just a little bit longer. Tuesday marks the first preseason game for the New York Islanders. In three more days, the Isles head across the northern-border to take on the Calgary Flames at the Brandt Center in Regina, Saskatchewan.
September 17th’s matchup will be the first chance for Isles fans to watch their hockey team since the team’s playoff ouster in May. It should also provide a first-glimpse at Cal Clutterbuck and Pierre-Marc Bouchard in the team’s blue and orange colors.
Around the league, the Ottawa Senators named Jason Spezza team captain. Spezza, 30, will be the eighth player to wear the “C” in a game for the Senators, with four of them from the first two seasons of the franchise.
The Senators also agreed to terms on a four-year contract with Jared Cowen, the 9th-overall pick in the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. The 22-year-old missed most of the 2012-13 season because of a hip injury he sustained playing for Binghamton of the American Hockey League during the lockout. Cowen had five goals, 17 points and logged nearly 19 minutes per game playing all 82 as a rookie in 2011-12.
Lastly, New York Rangers captain Ryan Callahan is eyeing the season’s opener, despite a surgically repaired shoulder that was expected to keep him out of action through the first month of the season.
In Case You Missed It
- Looking back at Ray Ferrao, Steve Webb and other No.20s in Isles history (Islanders Point Blank)
- A bit more on Ottawa’s new captain (SenShot)
- Find out what Travis Hamonic had to say following day three of Isles training camp (Official Islanders Website)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
With some teams still having to dump salary, gut feeling #isles gonna do something in the next week or so.
— Mike Pacheco (@4Isles4Life) September 14, 2013
- It wouldn’t surprise me one bit, Mike. Several teams still have to create room for themselves by the start of this season, and Snow has a history of improving his team right before the start of the season.
- I am, too! I don’t think we have seen enough of Poulin to fairly assess him. To be fair, he played very well in all of his appearances from his start against Winnipeg on April 2nd to his two relief appearances in the Eastern Conference Quarterfinals.
— Vinny Piccolo (@RoseTintedVisor) September 14, 2013
Okay it’s getting out of hand stop. We get it everyone. Save it for October.
— Kevin (@KevinKopfTNF) September 14, 2013
- I would rather go nuts about having preseason hockey than about not having it. Last September was brutal.