What you see is not always what you get….
That should be the prevailing thought as the New York Islanders open up their preseason slate with split squad contests against the Calgary Flames this evening.
Don’t attempt to read into head coach Jack Capuano‘s line combinations or defensive pairings just yet. They are bound to change over the course of the next two weeks as the team prepares itself for the October 4 season opener in New Jersey. If you were on the Twitter machine last night after the Rangers lost to the Devils 2-1, please do not over-react like our cross town brethren did. Please……don’t make me beg.
With the game in Calgary being streamed via the Calgary feed to Islanders TV, fans will get a glimpse of a roster not quite ready for prime time, as most of the more established and well known players are on the roster for the other game in Regina. In our second link below, you will find the breakdown of both squads as reported yesterday by Arthur Staple of Newsday.
After catching my first preseason action of the season last night during the Rangers-Devils game, I came away with some observations.
With Damien Brunner now officially in on a tryout contract, is there really any doubt he cracks New Jersey’s roster? It definitely makes them a much more dangerous team than I anticipated after the abrupt departure of Ilya Kovalchuk.
Hybrid Icing? Yes please. Love every reason for this to be in the game permanently. There is not much in the game of hockey more dangerous than a defenseman racing full speed to touch a puck crossing the goal line with a fore-checking forward on his tail. Seen so many bad things happen.
Helmet rule in regards to fighting? Jury still out for me. Don’t know whether I like it for safety reasons or hate it just for the pure ridiculous-ness of it.
And lastly, speaking of ridiculous, the no-tuck rule for jerseys screams too things. More league control over players in general and advertisements on uniforms, which would be an unmitigated disaster and sure to drop merchandise revenue in a big way.
Wednesday is a travel day before the team heads to Newark on Thursday for a tilt with the Devils. Eyes will be at training camp on Friday (Andy) and the big Barclays Center reveal (Rich) on Saturday. Keep it tuned in right here for updates and make sure you follow us on Twitter to get your live Islanders fix as it happens. Our handles are located right here.
In Case You Missed It
- Rich Diaz with an excellent defensive piece comparing three of today’s rising stars (EOI)
- Isles get ready to start preseason and we have the rosters right here thanks to Staple (EOI)
- Joe Pantorno with his debut piece at Eyes, speculating on a defenseman the Isles could use (EOI)
- John Keats explains sports and the Islanders (EOI)
- Staple talks more defense right here (Newsday)
- Great fun over at the Lighthouse with the new uniform rules (LHH)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
#Isles will probably make their first cuts on Wednesday, after the preseason games in Western Canada.
— Daniel Friedman (@DFriedmanWFAN) September 16, 2013
- Friedman has good insight on the Isles and makes his prediction for the first round of cuts coming.
— Reagan King (@ReaganKingIsles) September 16, 2013
- You can always find something interesting on E-Bay. And this proves it!
Hockey season needs to start right now!!!!
— Kevin Connolly (@mrkevinconnolly) September 14, 2013
- Mr. Connolly is a great Islanders fan and to think he is worried more about the Isles starting than a brilliant acting and directing career. Awesome.
JVR, top shelf, where mama hides the cookies until Kessel finds the cookies and eats the cookies.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) September 16, 2013
- Puck Daddy with the tweet of the preseason by far. This one is going to be tough to beat!
Cause i enjoy these OVER or UNDER .. FOUR Islanders sellouts this season #isles
— Rob Marschall (@savetheisles) September 17, 2013
- I am definitely going with the over on this one Rob. Maybe not by much but over for sure.