Tonight marks the unveiling of Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York as a hockey venue as the New Jersey Devils and New York Islanders square off in NHL preseason action for the second time in three days.
After the Islanders 5-3 victory at the Prudential Center on Thursday, the team was back on the ice yesterday at Nassau Coliseum, once again split into two groups. After session A left the ice, head coach Jack Capuano addressed the media.
We are going to decide today who will play in goal but I think whoever plays will get most of the playing time, whoever that might be. Could be Nabby.
Many in the media and across the Islanders fanbase have been wondering when players like Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson, Matt Donovan and even possibly Anders Lee would get a look skating with the main core at training camp and that question was asked of Capuano by myself.
I’m not sure yet. I’m sure after the Nashville game and the day off on Monday, Garth will determine where the groups will be on Tuesday.
The remainder of the bench boss’ comments can be found below as he went on to speak of the battle level of the team, the growth of the youngsters and the play of Kevin Poulin among other things…
As far as the players are concerned, what we gathered from yesterday’s practice sessions is that they are excited and very much looking forward to the hype and experience of Barclays but very aware that there is still a game to be won…
I think everyone is looking forward to playing that game and it will give us a sneak peek of what is to come in two years. But we still have a job to do. There is a game to be won. – Colin MacDonald
Captain John Tavares, who celebrated his 23rd birthday yesterday, echoed those sentiments as well in addition to saying he was not going to be doing much celebrating in honor of his ‘special’ day.
It’s a preseason game. Obviously, circumstances are different in terms of the significance of the arena. We will have our fans right there behind us and we are looking forward to getting ready for the season.
I found it most interesting when Tavares went onto talk about Pierre-Marc Bouchard and how he has been adjusting to being tried on the line with Matt Moulson, comparing him to P.A Parenteau. Remembering how successful that line was for the Islanders could mean good things ahead for that trio.
Look for my feature article this weekend on Casey Cizikas, who I had a chance to spend 15 minutes with yesterday and interview. An outstanding, well spoken player who truly plays for the name on the front and not on the back and represents everything we have come to love about this hockey team.
Tonight, Rich Diaz gets the pleasure of covering the Islanders-Devils game from Barclays and will be in the locker room post with all the commentary from what is sure to be not only an outstanding event but a media circus as well. Follow him on Twitter for all your live updates. @RDNHL.
In Case You Missed It
- Eyes On Isles podcast now has server hosting! Come subscribe to our RSS feed and we are now available on all podcast apps as well as I-Tunes!
- Kyle Okposo should see time on the penalty kill (EOI)
- No Cal, no problem. Isles have plenty of depth (EOI)
- Josh Bailey looking to take his game to another level (Isles Optimism)
- Matt Moulson will not let contract situation become a distraction (Newsday)
- Official Barclays game preview from the official site (NY Islanders.com)
- Realistic expectations for Isles top rookies this season (Bleacher Report)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
Every time my parents buy a player shirt the guy gets injured or traded. I’m not even joking. They got a Clutterbuck for my birthday (1/2)
— Kevin (@KevinKopfTNF) September 20, 2013
- We accept your apology Kevin and you are still a great Islanders fan. However, if this happens again, I will not be able to stop the lynch mob potentially from showing up at your front door!
Whoever is going to the barclays game tonight………i really hate u. #isles
— Eddie DeNicola (@EdThEmUsIcHeAd) September 21, 2013
- Hate is a strong word and one that I have tried to stricken from my vocabulary but I might have to make an exception here….
— Ken Dick (@RealKenDick) September 21, 2013
- I agree Ken and spoke of this in my NHL preview posted here at Eyes last week. I see the Isles and Rangers battling for that second spot right to the end of the season.
— Stephanie Beige (@Sbeige) September 21, 2013
- Love the way Stephanie frames out this tweet with ‘another moment is Isles history’. It should be put in the memory banks along with all the others as we start our journey to creating new ones.
— Phil Beck (@PhilBeckons) September 20, 2013
- That…………is how it’s done.