It wasn’t pretty, but they got it done.
The New York Islanders were outplayed, and at times out-muscled, but they found a way to win their fourth game of their ongoing road trip.
Kevin Poulin came up big last night, as he looked like a veteran, with his coolness late in the game while Tampa Bay was smothering him with shots. He made 29 saves in the game, and went 3-for-3 in the shootout to give the Islanders a huge win against the Atlantic Division co-leading Tampa Bay Lightning.
The offense had their sparks, but generally didn’t generate much, save for a gorgeous power play goal late in the second period by Thomas Vanek. The play of the first line wasn’t great tonight, but the role-playing lines came up big tonight, as they helped hold a high-scoring Tampa Bay offense in check for most of the night (and the goalpost did its fair share as well).
With the win, a New York Rangers win and a Philadelphia Flyers shootout loss, the Islanders find themselves 7 points out of the 8th and final playoff seed in the Eastern Conference. They are inching their way forward, and if they can continue to find ways to win like they did last night, they’ll only get closer and closer to the ultimate goal.
In Case You Missed It
Yours Truly With Last Night’s Game Recap (Eyes on Isles)
EOI Presents: Volume 1 of The Deke Squad (Eyes on Isles)
#IslesTwitter’s Tweets o’ the Week (Eyes on Isles)
Around the NHL
- New York Rangers 1, Detroit Red Wings 0
- Montreal Canadiens 5, Ottawa Senators 4 (OT)
- New York Islanders 2, Tampa Bay Lightning 1 (SO)
- San Jose Sharks 3, Florida Panthers 0
- Los Angeles Kings 4, St. Louis Blues 1
- Minnesota Wild 4, Edmonton Oilers 1
- Boston Bruins 4, Dallas Stars 2
- Colorado Avalanche 2, New Jersey Devils 1 (SO)
- Winnipeg Jets 5, Calgary Flames 2
- Phoenix Coyotes 1, Vancouver Canucks 0
Across the Sound
|4||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||39||14||20||1||4||33||0.423||96||126||1-0-0-0||3-6-0-1||3-4||1038|
|5||Hartford Wolf Pack||36||11||20||0||5||27||0.375||82||119||0-5-0-1||2-6-0-2||2-5||866|