The first game of the Post Vanek era went like the many games before it; the Islanders coughed up a two goal lead, and lost the game in overtime.
It’s been a recurring problem with this team; they’ve failed to play a “full game” all year. Last night was no different, as the Islanders gave up two late goals to, and then the final goal in overtime.
Goaltender Evgeni Nabokov looked solid in net for most of the game, but looked pretty shaky towards the end. That’s pretty symbolic of his season, as for the most part, he just hasn’t been able to get it done.
On the bright side, young call-up Anders Lee continues to score goals, adding a beautiful tip-in goal late in the first period. Lee has scored 3 goals in 4 games with the Islanders this season, and he has proven to be everything the Islanders wanted from him in his time with up in the NHL.
So with last night’s loss over and done, we can all look forward to a Friday night showdown against the Calgary Flames, a 9 PM game this time around. It’s the third game of the team’s flu game Western Canadian road trip, and hopefully the Islanders can replicate an effort similar to that from Tuesday’s game against Winnipeg.
In Case You Missed It
Would You Rather: An Isles Game (Islanders Op-Timism)
Around the NHL
- Boston Bruins 3, Washington Capitals 0
- Los Angeles Kings 3, Winnipeg Jets 1
- Buffalo Sabres 3, Tampa Bay Lightning 1
- Colorado Avalanche 3, Detroit Red Wings 2 (OT)
- Chicago Blackhawks 6, Columbus Blue Jackets 1
- St. Louis Blues 2, Nashville Predators 1
- Dallas Stars 6, Vancouver Canucks 1
- Edmonton Oilers 3, New York Islanders 2 (OT)
- San Jose Sharks 5, Pittsburgh Penguins 3
- Phoenix Coyotes 5, Montreal Canadiens 2
Across The Sound
(For extensive Sound Tigers coverage, click here for EOI Contributor Drew Casey’s newest weekly Sound Tigers briefing)
|3||Bridgeport Sound Tigers||57||26||26||1||4||57||0.500||155||173||0-2-0-0||7-3-0-0||4-4||1439|
|5||Hartford Wolf Pack||56||23||27||0||6||52||0.464||147||178||0-1-0-0||6-3-0-1||4-6||1227|