It was a short-lived marriage, but one filled with animosity, as Isles’ fans suffered through an era of a jersey arguably worse than the fisherman. The era, however, has finally come to a close.
Yesterday afternoon, the New York Islanders donned the black, orange, blue, grey jerseys for the 24th time and the final time. As the final buzzer sounded, Isles’ fans took home a 2-0 win and solace – a warm feeling of happiness – that the specific attire would never see Nassau Coliseum ice ever again. It was a victory, one that, combined with the win over Columbus, would have given Long Island’s hockey team four points in the standings.
And over the past three seasons, the Islanders compiled a record almost as ugly as the jersey themselves. At 8-11-5 while wearing the black thirds, the Isles rarely found the ‘W’ column. Unfittingly, the Islanders won their final game wearing them.
The Islanders bid thee farewell, black third jerseys. Au revoir. Sayonara. Peace.
(Buy yours now for 30% off or something at the Isles’ team store)
In case you missed it:
- Despite the season, the New York Islanders will not tank. (Newsday)
- Eric Boulton will return next season; plus, the Isles won! (Newsday)
- More Eric Boulton. (Lighthouse Hockey)
- Highlights from the last time you will ever see the Isles in the black thirds. (NHL)
Around the NHL:
- St. Louis Blues 1, Pittsburgh Penguins 0: STL (Backes) – Brian Elliot made 33 saves for his fourth shutout of the season, and the Blues pulled even with the Boston Bruins in the race for the Presidents’ Trophy.
- New Jersey Devils 3, Toronto Maple Leafs 2: NJD (Brunner, Elias, Merrill), TOR (Bozak, Kessel) – The Devils spoiled David Clarkson’s return to New Jersey, jumping out to a 3-0 lead early into the second period. Maple Leafs’ goaltender James Reimer was pulled after allowing three goals on ten shots.
- Nashville Predators 2, Chicago Blackhawks 0: NSH (Fisher, Bourque) – Pekka Rinne made 29 stops to keep the Preds’ playoff hopes alive.
- Minnesota Wild 4, Detroit Red Wings 3 OT: MIN (Pominville, Coyle, Parise, Moulson), DET (Nyquist , Tatar) – The Wild overcame an early 2-0 deficit, and Matt Moulson scored the game-winning goal 2:15 into overtime. Gustav Nyquist recorded two more goals for the Red Wings, making that 18 in the last 23 games for the 2008 121st overall pick.
- Vancouver Canucks 4, Buffalo Sabres 2: VAN (Richardson, Matthias, Weber, Booth), BUF (Ennis, McBain) – Zack Kassian recorded a career-high four assists against his former team, and Vancouver earned a much-needed two points in the standings.
- Anaheim Ducks 6, Florida Panthers 2: ANA (Maroon, Selanne, Silfverberg, Palmieri, Perry, Getzlaf), FLA (Hayes, Fleischmann) – Jakub Silfverberg’s shorthanded goal stood as the game-winner, ending a four-game home losing streak for the Ducks.
Across the Sound:
The Bridgeport Sound Tigers suffered a 4-2 loss to the Portland Pirates on Sunday afternoon. Ryan Walters scored his first professional goal for Bridgeport, and Jake Newton added his second of the year. Kevin Poulin stopped 25 of 28 shots.