I see you playoffs….We’re coming for you! – Mandatory Credit: Debby Wong-USA TODAY Sports
Middletown, N. J. – Seems as if every game over the previous two weeks has been huge or a ‘must-win’ for the New York Islanders hasn’t it? The fanbase would not have it any other way, as it means the team is competing into the season’s final weeks trying to secure a playoff berth. Today, in Winnipeg, the Islanders can pretty much come as close to sealing the deal as you can without actually completing the task. The results from around the NHL last night claimed two more victims in the race to finalize the Eastern Conference playoff picture, and as you wash and scrub the grime off that window, you can see more clearly now there really are only two teams to watch out for moving ahead.
Sitting On The Bridge
The Sound Tigers were officially eliminated from the American Hockey League playoffs last night, falling to Portland 3-1. Ryan Strome had the lone Tigers tally, his 2nd since being promoted from Niagara in the Ontario Hockey League.
You have to wonder, as we at Eyes will in the coming months, what the Islanders goaltending picture will look like come September 2013. With workhorse Evgeni Nabokov, at the moment, unsigned and running the table for the big club, Kevin Poulin has been reduced to nothing more than a spectator. Ditto down at the Bridge, as Rick DiPietro was mandated to be allowed to attempt another rehabilitation comeback but in turn sent Anders Nilsson to the bench for the final month or so of the season. Just what do we have waiting in the wings? The truth is we just don’t know at this point.
The full recap from the Sound Tigers website can be found here.
- A piece posted at Eyes last night is a must read for all Islanders fans concerning expectations and bringing a realistic view on how to handle them.
- Derek Stykalo of Fansided did a great piece on the Isles being a team of destiny with input from the editorial staff here at EyesOnIsles.
- From three days ago, Mike Willhoft writes on what it is like to be a hockey fan, more specifically an Islanders fan.
- Courtesy of the Islanders official website, New York has signed Long Island native Joey Diamond to an entry level deal.
- Some nicely done desktop wallpapers for your PC at home, here and here.
Floating Around The Twitter-sphere
- As a writer, I understand and respect that almost everything we say and write is opinion based – with that being said, you have to wonder, however, if making baseless comments is responsible journalism. Jones has obviously not watched this team over the past three weeks as the first line has struggled and the secondary scoring has led the offense. Not to mention, allowing only 21 goals in their previous 13 games defensively. That is what playoff teams do.
- The true mark of being ‘road warriors’ as Matt Martin has aptly dubbed the team. Pretty incredible statistic against some very good hockey clubs.
- You would think, wouldnt you Joe? – But the realization is that nothing they do or say recently bears any resemblence to logic. The trolls have been out in full force, perhaps threatened by our revival and the re-birth of the rivalry. I know plenty of Rangers fans that I have logical, adult conversations with (disagreements?) – And I know plenty that I just can’t. Nothing surprises me anymore.
- As a follow up to my comment in reply to Joe above, this is exactly what I am talking about. My belief is we can win the Stanley Cup and the illogical, blue colored glasses Rangers fan would point to the fact they defeated us in the season series. As you can see below in the standings update, they are still looking up at us, not the other way around.
Last Night In The NHL
- Pittsburgh and Boston were postponed (not going to go into any discussion about why here) and rescheduled for today at 12:30pm
- Rangers 8-4 thrashing over a Buffalo team apparently already on the 1st hole, eliminates the Sabres from playoff contention.
- Chicago (34-5-4) continues to run amok over the entire Western Conference, defeating Nashville in overtime on a Marian Hossa winner.
- Huge loss for Dallas last night at the Blues 2-1. They fail to pickup ground on 8th place Columbus with one of their two games in hand.
- Is the luster finally worn off the Ducks? They dropped a 3-1 decision to Calgary last night and are 4-4-2 in their last 10.
Kane to Hossa….wow…..
Everyone has probably seen this but it has to be reposted. Truly inspiring and had me tearing up. America united.
Current Eastern Conference Standings
As always, we thank you for spending part of your morning with us. The reader is what keeps us going and please continue to support us and the New York Islanders.
Look for the pregame report from Mike Willhoft coming prior to the 3pm faceoff.
Be sure to check out our new top menu bar, where you can read our mission statement, current lineup of outstanding writers and get in touch with us at EyesOnIsles.