Jun 11, 2013; Chicago, IL, USA; A general view of the ice during media day in preparation for game one of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final between the Boston Bruins and Chicago Blackhawks at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: Rob Grabowski-USA TODAY Sports
Middletown, N. J. – The break is over, the teams are rested and fans not only in Chicago and Boston but all around the league are anxiously awaiting tonight’s 8pm EST faceoff as the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs begin between the Blackhawks and Bruins.
Three days without hockey is nothing compared to what lies ahead after the series plays itself out as we will be left with trade rumors, the NHL draft and free agency to fill our minds until training camps begin in September.
With things quiet for now on the Islanders front and news of color and logo changes dominating the headlines I could write about the fact I saw the movie ‘The Purge’ last weekend or how I am anticipating four technological releases this summer in IOS7, and PS3 games The Last Of Us , NHL14 and Assassin’s Creed 3. But maybe a little later.
For now, its business as usual at Eyes as today we continue our report card series, have made our selection in the annual Fansided mock draft and present our Stanley Cup finals preview. Sit back, sip your coffee and enjoy with us as you begin your day.
- EyesOnIsles fan giveaway (EyesOnIsles)
- Summer report card : Jesse Joensuu (EyesOnIsles)
- Prior to dropping the puck, the Bruins and Blackhawks engage in the intangibles cup (EyesOnIsles)
- Making the case for and against Dan Blysma (TheHockeyWriters)
- Barclays will be unique for hockey and I’m not sure I like it (IPB)
- Isles to play pre-season game in Ontario (NY Islanders)
Around The Twitter-Sphere
- Now this is funny and made me get a good chuckle in at 5:45am. Looks like Kevin will have his hands full this summer thinking of witty tweets to impress the Isles ice girls. I can see a definite photo-op coming with him surrounding by the three beauties at the Coliseum in October.
- I am totally in agreement Bryan. I have to find ways to fill my summer without the Isles or hockey all together. I can’t really get into baseball so that’s out of the question. Too slow for me and just makes me want to go to sleep. I started watching ‘Falling Skies’ the other night on TNT (Sundays @ 10pm EST) and it caught my attention. Hopefully that and ‘Deadliest Catch’ will get me through.
- Snow made these comments at the booster club meeting the other night and shows how committed this front office is to taking the team to the next step. They are clearly not satisfied just making the playoffs and as fans its really all we can ask of them. Put the best product you can on the ice and its up to the players and coaching staff at that point to perform.
- I thought about a similar point last night while eating dinner. I was flipping through the ESPN magazine, which had just arrived in the mail that afternoon and wondered to myself why I even bother paying for the subscription. Outside of an excellent article around racism in Italian soccer, I basically skimmed through the rest of it. ESPN has really been disappointing on a lot of levels lately.
Around The NHL
Very cool video setting up tonight’s opening game of the Stanley Cup Finals….
- For those wondering about the NHL awards with John Tavares and Matt Moulson finalists for two of them, there is no awards show this season. Due to the late nature and frantic pace of the shortened schedule and the draft coming up right after the finals end there was just no time. So below is information on when and how the awards will be presented this season…..
Friday 6/14/13 5pm ET- NHL Network in the U.S and Canada will televise and NHL.com will live stream the announcements of the winners of the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (Awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey), Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best defensive forward), Jack Adams Award (Coach Of The Year), King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Player who shows leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a contribution in his community), Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (Player who showed outstanding sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct), Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, NHL Foundation Player Award and the NHL General Manager of the Year Award.
Saturday 6/15/13 7pm ET- As a lead-in to Game 2 of the Cup Final, NBC and CBC will co-produce and co-host a program announcing the winners of the Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year), Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP), James Norris Memorial Trophy (Best Defenseman), Ted Lindsay Award (Outstanding Player) and the Vezina Trophy (Best Goaltender).