September 12, 2012; New York, NY, USA; NHL player Daniel Briere (center) speaks with reporters during the 2012 NHLPA summer player meetings at the Marriott Marquis. Mandatory Credit: Brad Penner-USA TODAY Sports
Middletown, N. J – Rumors dont take a vacation in the NHL…Especially immediately after the NHL draft and right before the start of ‘silly season’, AKA free agency.
Yesterday would be no different and the New York Islanders would make noise on three fronts with regards to player news. First, it was the announcement that Garth Snow would not toll the contract of goaltender Tim Thomas, who is going to be making a comeback to the league and not in the blue and orange.
That was quickly followed by news that New York has officially contacted the agent for free agent to be Danny Briere and has interest. But that would pale in comparison to what would come next. News that the Islanders have officially placed Rick DiPietro on waivers for the purpose of buying out the remainder of his contract.
To be honest, I am not sure how to feel about it. I will attempt to put my feelings into a piece later today or tomorrow here at Eyes and see where that goes.
Today we have some more great material lined up for your reading pleasure. After Top Shelf, be on the lookout late this morning for free agency part II as I dive into the 4 defenseman that Snow might be wise to take a look at. And Chris Triantafilis will be coming out with a piece featuring his thoughts on the blue line issues as well. Stick with us as we have some exciting announcements to make as well regarding staffing and our plans to cover free agency live on Friday.
- Eric Bordin leads us off by taking a look at the buyout of Rick (EOI)
- Contributor Kevin Kopf looks at the early leader for Movember (EOI)
- USA Today with a peek into Tim Thomas’ decision to resume his career (USA Today)
- Another angle on Cal Clutterbuck, new addition to the blue and orange (Rant Sports)
- New York Rangers rumors of a possible impending trade (Rant Sports)
- Bleacher Report on if Tim is a fit for the Islanders crease (Bleacher Report)
Around The Twitter-Sphere
- As am I Seth – If I do end up writing a piece on the buyout that is going to be my theme. A real good guy who worked so much harder than everyone realizes to live up to his lofty expectations and contract.
- Break out the wallets – the NHL merchandise train is going to be rolling in the dough come next January in NYC. What a huge winter it is going to be for sports in the big apple.
- My initial thought yesterday mirrored this. Could we be seeing a goaltending tandem in October of Bryzgalov, Poulin/Nilsson? Would that be such a horrible thing? Take your mind away from the Philadelphia fiasco for a second and really think about it.
- And 23 years ago, I passed up on dating Kate Beckinsale so I could marry my beautiful wife, who I still love to death to this day. Your point being? You cannot go back in time and analyze moves in this fashion, for it will either drive you crazy or make you punch walls. haha ? – And no, Kate does not even have my number. ?
- Snow kept preaching patience with the fanbase regarding the rebuild and now we are bearing the fruits of that labor. All the moves he has made in the recent 3-5 year period have been working towards this point. And July 5 is not even here yet to start some shopping.
- Am I the only one who does not want the suddenly cranky and impressively mediocre Miller in goal for the Isles?