Marc DesRosiers-USA TODAY Sports
The New York Islanders finished off a split squad sweep of the Ottawa Senators last night and headed back home to Long Island but that is only a quarter of the story.
With today’s roster deadline approaching at 5pm, we await word on the fate of several high profile rookies and their 2013-14 roster status. Ryan Strome, Brock Nelson, Anders Lee, Matt Donovan and Griffin Reinhart will find out if they are to stay on Long Island or head to Sound Tigers camp or juniors (in Reinhart’s case).
Secondly and perhaps more important is we should also learn today about the status of defenseman Travis Hamonic, who was boarded last night and left the game in the first period. Head Coach Jack Capuano would tell beat writer Art Staple from Newsday that the likely assistant captain will be re-evaulated today. There was no word on severity or even exact location of the injury given last night.
Expected to play such a huge role this season and coming off a great camp, it would be a blow but one that, with the Isles new found depth in that department system wide, one that they should be able to overcome, IF the news was to not be so bright.
The team will open the season Friday night in New Jersey against the Devils and whatever the lineup looks like, are expected to continue their rise up the NHL ladder. Stay tuned to Eyes On Isles throughout the day and on twitter (@eyesonislesFS) or any of our personal Twitter accounts for developing news as we follow this story as closely as we can.
In Case You Missed It
- Official site recaps one of the wins, a 5-2 decision (New York Islanders)
- IPB has some highlights from the 4-1 win (IPB)
- Jack Capuano is pleased as he prepares to set his roster (Newsday)
- Hockey from the blind side takes a look at some interesting points here (Isles Talk)
- Rangers have set their roster at 23, and it doesn’t look intimidating to start (Daily News)
- Drouin and Connolly casualties in Tampa Bay camp (Tampa Tribune)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
- Exactly Brian – preseason does not mean those results will necessarily transfer over to the regular season. Time to evaluate and see what you have in terms of talent, as is the same all around the league.
- Had the 9th choice, which took me out of the JT running, but did score Grabner, Visnovsky, Bailey and Donovan in the later rounds.
- Not that it will or won’t but it was nice to see the team come alive later in the preseason, especially on offense.
- Love the new moniker for the Isles 4th line.
- Realistic expecations…….outstanding.