Jun 12, 2013; Chicago, IL, USA; Chicago Blackhawks players leap off the bench after centerAndrew Shaw
(not pictured) scored the game-winning goal during the third overtime period in game one of the 2013 Stanley Cup Final at the United Center. Mandatory Credit: Rob Grabowski-USA TODAY Sports
Middletown, N, J – Another two nights without a hockey game is more torture for the devoted hockey fan. After a thrilling game one the teams received a well deserved two day break prior to tomorrow night’s game two in Chicago.
The Islanders made waves on the news front this week announcing the trade of former captain Mark Streit‘s rights to the Philadelphia Flyers making fans wonder aloud if something bigger was coming either prior to or after the June 30 entry draft. You would think so, but given general manager Garth Snow‘s reputation for secrecy surrounding personnel moves nobody knows about it until it happens.
Today the report card series continues with a look at Matt Martin as we continue with our summer rollout schedule.
- Fan Giveaway! Don’t miss your chance at a Michael Grabner T-Shirt! (EyesOnIsles)
- Report card : Andrew MacDonald (EyesOnIsles)
- New contributor Kevin Kopf takes a look at why the Isles re-signed Eric Boulton (EyesOnIsles)
- Hilarious player exit interviews (parody) (Lighthouse Hockey)
- Travis Hughes on why Mark Streit is not the answer in Philly (Philly.com)
- How the Blackhawks and Bruins recuperated after game one (Boston.com)
- Evander Kane in trouble again (Edmonton Sun)
Around The Twitter-Sphere
- Huge marketing boom for the NHL and merchandise sales are sure to go right through the roof with the additional outdoor classic games. We are bound to see more Isles gear over the next two years for sure.
- Could not agree more and I mentioned this while a guest on the SND Podcast show last night. His skills were clearly eroding but nobody could argue his time here was well spent with dignity and respect. Remember, he signed on the Island when nobody else would and wore the ‘C’ well.
- Another tweet right on the mark from Capellini. The Isles clearly need upgrades in goal and on the defensive side of the game and I truly believe Garth gets it done. And if he doesn’t it certainly will not be for a lack of trying. He knows exactly where this team needs to improve.
- Hysterical……probably looks like every true hockey fan as well as the clock sped past midnight and we did not have a winner until 1am EST.
Around The NHL
- <crickets> <crickets> There was no action in the league as the Blackhawks and Bruins prepare for game two to be played tomorrow night in Chicago at 8pm EST.
- In other news, the league will begin announcing award recipients today followed by the ‘major’ award winners tomorrow as a lead-in to game two. See below for details.
Friday 6/14/13 5pm ET- NHL Network in the U.S and Canada will televise and NHL.com will live stream the announcements of the winners of the Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy (Awarded to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey), Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best defensive forward), Jack Adams Award (Coach Of The Year), King Clancy Memorial Trophy (Player who shows leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a contribution in his community), Lady Byng Memorial Trophy (Player who showed outstanding sportsmanship and gentlemanly conduct), Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, NHL Foundation Player Award and the NHL General Manager of the Year Award.
Saturday 6/15/13 7pm ET- As a lead-in to Game 2 of the Cup Final, NBC and CBC will co-produce and co-host a program announcing the winners of the Calder Memorial Trophy (Rookie of the Year), Hart Memorial Trophy (MVP), James Norris Memorial Trophy (Best Defenseman), Ted Lindsay Award (Outstanding Player) and the Vezina Trophy (Best Goaltender).