Top Shelf : Islanders Daily : 8/30/2013
By Andy Graziano
With Olympic orientation camp now over for Team USA and Team Canada, players can start to focus on the upcoming 2013-14 season with training camps right around the corner.
Everyone is chomping at the bit to get started from players to management alike and there is a feeling that the news cycle will be picking up in a hurry as teams figure out their opening night lineups.
Some quality players still remain as unsigned free agents with Damien Brunner leading the way at this point. Thought to be close to signing with the New Jersey Devils a couple of weeks ago, those talks and all subsequent free agent chatter has again been set to mute.
Let’s take a look at what transpired around the league yesterday.
- Bruno Gervais is completely recovered from abdominal surgery and expected to be fully healthy heading into Flyers camp.
- Former Islander Ty Wishart has agreed to a contract with the Schwenninger Wild Wings of Germany’s Eishockey Liga.
- David Backes was named to team USA’s player leadership group along with Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Ryan Suter and Zach Parise.
- Tomas Kaberle is close to signing in the KHL.
- Matthew Lombardi has also left for greener pastures in Switzerland.
In Case You Missed It
- 5 burning questions heading into training camp for the New York Islanders (EOI)
- The absolutely brilliant Clutterbuck Chronicles enters volume 4 (EOI)
- Pete McEntee explains why you should not worry about Evgeni Nabokov this year (EOI)
- Fantastic parody of the new Olympic mode in this years NHL 14 release by EA Sports (LHH)
- Quick preview of the Isles forwards this season (Isles Talk)
- Dan Petriw talks Islanders defense and how they must improve (HockeyBuzz)
- Dee Karl on meeting Matt Moulson in Macys (7th Woman)
- NHL has ‘no comment’ after NFL concussion settlement (Pro Hockey Talk)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
- Gary has been a long time Islanders insider and is currently the vice president of the booster club. Recently he has begun a regular segment on 1240 AM in Long Island devoted to hockey. It’s a great time and last show he had Jiggs McDonald on. Send him your questions for the Islanders general manager and give it a listen.
- True Rob, that is does. With all the experts continuing to underestimate this team, in my opinion, is only going to make them hungrier. And expectations will be surpassed.
- Ah, the story that never dies. Truth be told, I always was and still am a DiPietro fan. The guy just wanted to play hockey and worked real hard to get back to the game he loved. Plus he was always stand up with the media and never shied away from the press coverage of his massive contract.
- Rob and the excellent team over at TCL are looking for someone to cover the Tigers this season. If you love AHL hockey (and who doesn’t) and watch the team a lot, look them up for a writing gig.
- The Islanders have been all over the place this off-season and leading into camp, the exposure continues. Come out to the Coliseum next Wednesday and meet Colin as he signs autographs. The first 150 get a guaranteed signature from the Islanders forward.