Top Shelf : Islanders Daily : 9/9/2013
Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports
Once the calendar turned to September, all members of the hockey media knew the news cycle would begin, relating to the New York Islanders or not.
After a dreary summer where all relevant information went to sleep after the opening day of free agency, the cool nights are not the only welcome change to our daily routine.
As we roll into the second week of the month, fans will be greeted to not only the opening of training camp on Thursday at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, NY but more frequent reports from Isles beat writer Arthur Staple of Newsday.
Our own Chris Triantafilis posted an interesting article Saturday night covering Staple’s latest tweet, about former (for now) Islanders defenseman Radek Martinek and right wing Brad Boyes.
With the two remaining unsigned as of publishing time, the possibility of both being invited to camp on a try-out basis are very real.
Whether it turns out to be pure insurance is irrelevant. What it continues to prove is the professionalism and courtesy that the Islanders organization shows to its current and former players. This could provide an opportunity for both to showcase their skills and maybe earn a contract with another NHL club.
Today brings a press conference announcing the captaincy of John Tavares along with an article by Eric Bordin detailing why its the proper decision immediately after.
Now, for our daily skate around the league for any bit of interesting or relevant information….
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will not be ready to start the regular season coming off shoulder surgery.
- Matthew Dumba is looking to claim a spot on the Minnesota defense out of training camp.
- Carolina coach Kirk Muller is on the lookout for defensive help with Joni Pitkanen questionable to start the season.
- Gregory Campbell thinks he can start the regular season but is not 100% as of today.
- For the first time in his career, Ben Bishop enters the season as a true #1 goaltender for the Lightning.
- Yesterday’s deadline day for Daniel Cleary came and went with no decision on where he will play this season.
Thanks for reading Eyes On Isles!
In Case You Missed It
- Pete McEntee takes a look at 10 players to watch in rookie camp (EOI)
- NHL 2013 pre-season TV schedule (EOI)
- Griffin Reinhart looking forward to main training camp (NY Islanders)
- Review of EA Sports NHL14, out in stores tomorrow (Legion Of Blog)
- Photos of Senators vs Leafs in rookie camp scrimmage (Toronto Sun)
- Mason Raymond earns a training camp try-out with the Leafs (Toronto Sun)
- Patrice Bergeron still feels some tenderness in his rib area (NESN)
Two Minutes For Tweeting
- The battle for the jersey redesign heats up as submissions are now coming in fast and furious with still two years to the move. Sure to make traditionalists angry, whatever makes the most money is what the Islanders will do.
- The Islanders unofficial sixth man plan on traveling well this season starting immediately with the opener in New Jersey.
- Make sure you find ANY excuse to be at your computer and check out the announcement of the Isles 14th team captain in history.
- On my list already Steve….hopefully I have been good enough this year to earn one from Santa….:)