Islanders podcast: Rebuilding the 2010-2014 rebuild
There ain’t much going on right now in the NHL or with the New York Islanders. So, for this week’s podcast, Matt and I had to get creative! We went back eleven years to rebuild the Isles rebuild.
Remember the early 2010’s? When the Isles were terrible (that might not narrow it down too much)? From 2008 through to 2014 they picked in the top 10 six times. That’s right six times. And they weren’t able to really get their act together until 2018-19. So we went back and redrafted most of those picks to put in motion a new rebuild.
Listen to the show wherever you get your podcasts (iTunes, Spotify, Google Podcast), or just listen here on the page using the Omny embed podcast player!
Rebuilding the New York Islanders rebuild
Just to be clear we aren’t redrafting every pick. We’re only looking at the 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2014 drafts. And even then we aren’t redrafting every single pick in those years, just the top 5 picks.
Remember the picks?
- 2010: Nino Niederreiter (5th OVR)
- 2011: Ryan Strome (5th OVR)
- 2012: Griffin Reinhart (4th OVR)
- 2014: Michael Dal Colle (5th OVR)
That group, alongside John Tavares (1st overall in 2009) and Josh Bailey (9th overall in 2008) were supposed to be the Isles core. The core that would drag them out of obscurity and into relevancy.
Well, as you probably know, most of those guys didn’t live up to the hype. So we looked at their respective draft and picked new players that would have actually made an impact
What else do we talk about?
- There’s a rumor that Anthony Beauvillier could be moved to create more cap space for the Isles. Matt and I talk about how absurd that is.
- Catch up with the latest news on Islanders prospects from all over the globe. I’ll give you the low-down on every down on the Isles farm.
- Last and of course, not least, we take you through Isles twitter to catch you up on the latest happening on our favorite social media platform.