When discussing the New York Islanders it’s hard to find two names more synonymous with the franchise than Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier. They were teammates for 15 years, won the Calder Trophy two years apart, and of course, most famously won four Stanley Cup championships in a row.
Potvin’s number five and Trottier’s number 19 both hang from the rafters and both of these players have a plaque in the Hockey Hall of Fame. Now, 33 years later, they reunite on a new project off the ice.
Both Potvin and Trottier are teaming up with Flux88 and Fanaply to produce an NFT series called “Closing The Barn”. For those who might not be familiar, an NFT or a non-fungible token is a digital asset that is unique and often sold in limited quantities.
In this series, there are four different NFTs that are available. The first, which is a 1-of-1 NFT is called “That Place Was Rocking All the Time”. This exclusive NFT featured Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier discussing some of their favorite moments at the Nassau Coliseum.
Gold Edition: “That Place Was Rocking All the Time”
The two reflect on the energy of the building, as the audio of the conversation is accompanied by a beautiful illustration from Kevin Briones. Depending on what the item goes for at auction, an exclusive experience comes with the purchase.
- $2,000 – $4,999 = Winner will also get an exclusive video call with Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier
- $5,000 – $9,999 = Winner will also get an activity with Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier like 9 holes of golf, fly fishing, a meal or attend an Islanders game at the newly minted UBS Arena
- $10,000 – $24,999 = Winner will also get a day with Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier to play 18 holes of golf and have dinner, or a similar activity that works for everyone
- $25,000+ = The winner will also get a curated weekend of experiences with Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier
You also have three other NFTs, the Silver Edition, Triottier Edition, and the Potvin Edition.
Silver Edition: “15 Straight Years”
25 NFTs available for $250
- In this silver edition, Denis Potvin and Bryan Trottier look back at their time playing together and the special chemistry they shared. Those who purchase this 1-of-25 NFT will also receive a puck signed by both Trottier and Potvin. This NFT, presented by Flux88 Studios, was beautifully illustrated by artist Kevin Briones and features an audio bed from the two Islanders legends.
Trottier Edition: Closing The Barn with Bryan Trottier
80 NFTs available for $40
- For the solo Trottier NFT, the NHL Hall-of-Famer and member of the “100 Greatest Players of All Time”, recalls his first time stepping on the ice at Nassau Coliseum for the New York Islanders. This NFT, presented by Flux88 Studios, was beautifully illustrated by artist Kevin Briones and features an audio bed from Islanders’ legend Bryan Trottier.
Potvin Edition: Closing The Barn with Denis Potvin
80 NFTs available for $40
- For the Denis Potvin solo NFT, one of the greatest defensemen in NHL history looks back on the first time the Islanders beat the New York Rangers. This NFT, presented by Flux88 Studios, was beautifully illustrated by artist Kevin Briones and features an audio bed from Islanders’ legend Denis Potvin.
Denis Potvin is “excited” for the opportunity to work with NFTs
I was able to speak with Denis Potvin about the opportunity and I was surprised to know that Potvin was already familiar with NFTs before taking on this project. During his research, he found that NFTs were exploding and how could he pass up on an opportunity to work with his former teammate?
"“You’re seeing a lot more legends of the game getting involved and so I did my research and I liked the idea…I was very excited about it and I think that it’s something that’s very, very interesting for all of us alumni of the sports to get involved in that way.”"
Seeing Potvin and Trottier get into the new age of memorabilia is exciting and it presents a unique opportunity to the younger audience to learn more about their impact, especially in the building that many of us called home for so long.
2021 marked the end of an era for the Islanders as they closed down the Nassau Coliseum. When asked about it Potvin said that it was a special place to him:
"“As they say in hockey it was our barn and we didn’t lose very many games in that place so it was very, very special.”"
Potvin’s right, they didn’t lose very many games. In fact, as I’m sure you’re well aware they won 19 consecutive playoff series, something that seems unimaginable in today’s game. In the “15 straight years” NFT Potvin talks about wanting to play with Bryan Trottier more.
I asked him what it was like to play with so many Hall of Famers and talented players on those teams and he called it insane.
"“It’s insane how good we were”"
You could tell just how excited Potvin was over the phone and how much respect he has for his former teammate, Bryan Trottier. Teaming up with him on this project certainly brings back a lot of fond memories. The auction begins today, August 31 at 12:00 pm EST. You can purchase or bid at either www.fanaply.com/flux88 or Fanaply.com.